Inspired once again by Food & Drink Magazine I set on making some sweet potato curry.
First step is to marinade cubed chicken in yogurt and spices for at least 4 hours. Here’s the ingredients that went into the marinade:
Then to make the vegetable portion you simmer the vegetables - I used sweet potato, tomatoes, carrots, onion and garlic - with spices (cardamom pods are the big dark things you’re looking at - don’t eat those, it’s like bay leaves, they’re just for flavour):
Then cook the chicken in a skillet in the oven - it’ll come out looking pretty yummy:
Then Food & Drink instructs you to mix the chicken into the vegetable mixture. This caused the yogurt to curdle a bit so next time I’ll just serve the chicken on top instead of mixing it in.
The best part of the recipe is the chicken - the marinade makes it super rich and tasty. I made the mistake of using “lite” coconut milk for the vegetable curry - do yourself a favour and just use regular full-fat coconut milk. The taste and texture is worth the fat. After I finished the curry I tried adding some chopped apple (inspired by a Seychelles Curry I had a few weeks ago). The apple definitely made the curry about 10x better. Next time I would add apple and cilantro in just a minute before taking the vegetable mixture off the heat.
Sweet Potato Curry Chicken
- 2 Chicken Breasts 2 breast cubed
- 1/2 Cup Plain Yogurt
- Red Ripe Tomatoes, 2 cup, chopped or sliced
- 1/2 Cup
- 1 Cup Onions, chopped
- 1 Apple Diced
- 1 Tsp each cinnamon, cardamom, cumin, coriander seed.
- 4 Tbsp diced garlic
- 4 Tbsp diced ginger
- 1 Cup cubed carrot & 1 cup cubed carrot
- 1 Cup Basmati Rice.
- 2 Tbsp diced coriander
Directions- Marinade chicken in yogurt, garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander for 4 hours.
- Cook 1 cup of rice
- Blanch carrots & sweet potato for 4 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Saute onion, garlic, ginger, spices for 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and one cup of water and bring to a boil for 3 minutes.
- Add carrots & sweet potato, simmer for 20 minutes.
- Cook chicken in a skillet at 450 for 10 minutes.
- Add chicken and coconut milk to sauce simmer for 5 minutes, stir in coriander and apple and serve on top of rice.