These cupcakes are another testament to why the LCBO Food & Drink magazine is stellar.
The only weird thing about the recipe is the batter made twice as many cupcakes as the recipe called for, meaning the icing was about 5 cupcakes short (although I did pile the icing pretty high seeing as I got to use my icing bag). I bought a new nib (is that what you call the metal things) that is wider (the medium size) so it makes more appropriate cupcake decoration. Instead of like my last attempt at cupcakes. I also like this icing better because it’s not so sickeningly sweet like the buttermilk icing since it’s cream-cheese based. I also blew the motor on my hand blender trying to make the buttermilk icing (burning plastic smell is not a good sign!). That is my excuse for buying (drumroll please) a Kitchenaid Stand Mixer! (more on that later).
To make the cupcakes you first mix together butter and sugar. I melted my butter by accident because the recipe called for soft butter - whoops! The recipe still worked though!
I also misinterpreted what the recipe meant by Chinese 5-spice powder. Apparently it’s a mix of spices like cinnamon. I thought it was really a hot-spicy powder so I substituted chili powder and pumpkin spice mix. It still turned out okay though!
After the soon-to-be-cupcakes had cooled I iced them using my icing bag and fancy nib.
The second batch went to my office golf tournament (side note: I won longest drive!) to raise money for the United Way.
LCBO Pumpkin Cupcakes
- 1 Stick Butter
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup Pumpkin Purée
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Chinese 5-Spice Powder (or Pumpkin Pie Spice)
- 1 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 2 Eggs
- Cream Butter & Sugar then add pumpkin purée and eggs
- Whisk together flour, spices, salt and baking soda
- Mix alternately flour mix and milk to butter mixture
- Divide into lined (12-24 depending on the size) muffin tins & bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes (when a toothpick comes out clean)
Brown Sugar Icing
- 1/4 Cup Cream Cheese
- 1/2 Stick of Butter
- 1 Cup Icing Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla
- Cream together cream cheese and butter.
- Add brown sugar and beat.
- Add icing sugar and vanilla and beat until fluffy
- Ice cupcakes once they have cooled completely