We attempted sushi using some of Doug’s tips and this recipe: http://japanesefood.about.com/od/sushiroll/r/californiaroll.htm - ginger and avocado are good for you, so we’re assuming this is too.
- Don’t cheap out on the ingredients, make sure they are real Japanese products.
- Rice Vinegar is important.
- If the Nori goes stale and mushy heat it over an element to crisp it up.
- Make sure the rice is warm (not hot) when you roll the sushi.
- Put plastic wrap on your bamboo mat so the rice doesn’t stick.
- Put mayo on the Nori to make everything stick together nicely.
- Use brand name Kikkoman soy sauce - it’s just better.
- You can roll the rice on the outside or inside!
Important rules to know (and possibly choose to break) before enjoying said sushi: